Silk·expert Pro 5
At-home IPL Hair Removal System, PL5117
What is it?
- An at-home Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) hair removal device
- Targets the melanin in the hair follicle, which breaks the cycle of hair re-growth
- With continued use, it leads to permanent hair reduction
Permanent Hair Reduction in 4 weeks
100 Day Money Back Guarantee
Safe & Easy to Use
- Use once a week for 4-12 weeks to see permanent results
- Safe for women to use on legs, arms, underarms, brazilian area, and on the face (below the cheekbone)
- Easy to use, you can treat both legs in less than 5 minutes
- Dermatologically accredited as skin safe by the Skin Health Alliance & cleared by the FDA
- Remove all visible hair from area you wish to treat
Your Silk-expert Pro 5 comes with a Venus razor for easy surface hair removal. Ensure there's no hair on the surface of the skin, then pat dry.
- Select treatment head
Depending on the size of area you treat you'll want to use a different head. Use the standard head for larger areas like arms or legs. Use the precision head for bikini, chin, upper lip.
- Plug in the device and select mode
Once you plug in the device, press the center button to turn on. Once on (the device will light up and make a light humming noise), press the comfort mode button with feather on it to select sensitivity. You can choose standard (3 lights), gentle (2 lights), or extra gentle (1 light).
- Put nozzle in full contact with skin
Put the nozzle in full contact with the skin to make sure the product works correctly. If the light flashes white, a valid skin tone is detected. If not in proper contact with the skin, the device will not flash. In the case of a red light, there is not full contact or it is an invalid skin tone.
- Zap away!
For larger body areas use gliding mode: hold down the treatment button and glide along your skin. For smaller areas, press and release the treatment button. For sensitive areas or if it’s your first time, you can use the gentle or extra gentle mode.
- Treat weekly, then adjust!
In the first phase of your treatment, treat once a week for 4 - 12 weeks. During this time you'll see your hairs grow in thinner and less. Once you start to see desired results, adjust to your needs (i.e. every 1-2 months).
Silk Expert Pro 5
Transformer including power cord and plug
Zippered beauty pouch
Rating and Reviews
This area allows consumers like you to express their own opinions and comments. Braun does not represent or warrant the accuracy of any statements or product claims made here, nor endorses any opinions expressed within this section.
Use the main power cord to connect the base station to an electrical outlet. Press any button on the device to activate the device. The LED power bars on the side of the device will light up once and a fan starts running that will make a soft humming noise. This means the device is ready to go.
There are 2 treatment methods: gliding and stamping.
- Gliding is for fast and efficient treatment of large areas (e.g. legs). To activate glide mode, place the treatment window firmly on your skin, ensuring both skin sensors have skin contact. Press and hold the treatment button. The device will begin to flash. Move the device slowly and continuously from the bottom to the top of the treatment area. Make sure to always keep full skin contact so that the device flashes continuously. Once the gliding stroke is completed, lift the device off the treatment area. Repeat steps 1-3 to treat the next adjacent area in a parallel stroke.
- Stamping is for treating smaller, hard-to-reach areas (e.g. face for females, bikini line, underarms, knee, chin, ankles). To activate stamp mode, place the treatment window firmly on your skin, ensuring both skin sensors have skin contact. Press and immediately release the treatment button. The device will emit a flash. Lift off the device and place it onto the next adjacent spot to be treated. Wait for the power bars to show white LEDs. Then press and release the treatment button. Continue treatment spot by spot until you have completed the entire area you wish to treat.
Push the gentle mode button to reduce the light intensity. The gentle mode button can be found in the center of device handle with the feather icon. You can toggle through the following 3 settings:
- Standard: 3 indicator lights (highest light intensity)
- Gentle: 2 indicator lights
- Extra gentle: 1 indicator light (lowest light intensity)
The intelligent SensoAdapt™ skin sensors continuously read your skin tone before every flash, automatically adapting the light intensity for best efficacy and safety. The ideal amount of light is delivered with every pulse for safe and effective use. This allows treatment of appropriate skin tones, but prevents treatment if your skin tone is too dark.
This is the number of flashes that the device will deliver. The 400,000 flashes deliver an equivalent of 22 years of full body treatments.
There is no need to wear goggles when using Silk-expert Pro. The skin contact sensors ensure that the device can only be triggered when in contact with the skin and the light visible during treatment is perfectly safe. In seldom cases, a user may find the flash too bright, however there is no safety risk associated with this. For increased comfort, we recommend treating in a well-lit room to help reduce the perceived brightness.
Women: Legs, arms, underarms, bikini area, and face (below cheekbones). Do not use the device near the eyes and along the forehead.
Men: Shoulders and below (chest, back, arms, stomach, legs). Do not use on the face, neck, or genital area.
Usage on male beards or facial hair may lead to permanent or uneven results which may produce changes in facial characteristics that may not be desirable.
Braun Silk·expert Pro works without the need of additional lotions or gels and there is no need to purchase replacement lamps like with other devices.
IPL with Braun Silk·expert is gentle and virtually painless. Discomfort varies by person, but if you are experiencing any discomfort, there’s even a gentle and an extra gentle mode for first-time users or for treating sensitive areas, such as the face or bikini line.
Yes, you do need to shave before completing your IPL treatment as this allows the treatment to be most effective, reaching the hair follicle below the skin surface. Braun Silk·expert conveniently comes with a Venus razor, so you have all you need to start treatments.
Silk·expert Pro5 is designed to help break the cycle of hair growth. Light energy is transferred through the skin’s surface and is absorbed by melanin present in the hair shaft. The absorbed light energy is converted to heat energy (below the surface of the skin), which disables the hair follicle. Treated hairs naturally fall out over the course of a few days to 1-2 weeks.
Immediately post treatment, you should not see any significant side effects from treatment. In the first few weeks following the initial treatments, you will still see some hairs growing. These are likely to be hairs that were missed during initial treatment i.e. they were lying dormant and not in their growth phase (Anagen) during treatment, when IPL is most effective. Around 4 weeks into the 12 week treatment program you should see a reduction in hair growth. However, many hairs may still not have been treated in their growth phase. It is important to continue the weekly treatments.
After the 12 week program, you should see a significant reduction in hairs within the treated area. Any remaining hairs should be finer and lighter in color. Continued monthly treatments, or treatments as needed, should maintain the reduction in unwanted hair.
We recommend avoiding exposure to artificial light sources, such as tanning booths or solariums. Avoid any activity or skin products that may irritate your skin for 24 hours after treatment. This includes using hot tubs or saunas, wearing tight- fitting clothing, using bleaching creams, perfumed products or peeling products. The above may cause irritation, such as itching and redness, in the treated areas.
After treatment, we recommend using sunscreen SPF 15 whenever treated areas may be exposed to the sun.
Yes! Braun Silk·expert IPL is the safest IPL. It has a cutting-edge skin tone sensor that continuously reads the skin and automatically adjusts the light intensity, called SensoAdaptTM technology, to deliver the safest and most efficient treatments for you. The device is also FDA Cleared and dermatologically accredited and skin safe by the Skin Health Alliance.
IPL is not suitable for everyone. It is most effective on light to medium skin tones and dark hair colors. But skin tones and hair color vary across your body. So depending on where on your body you'd like to treat, review the skin/hair chart to confirm if IPL is suitable for you.
This product has not been tested among pregnant women, children, and teenagers and is not recommended for use among these groups.
Dedicated to championing healthy skin worldwide, the Skin Health Alliance (SHA) is a leading international skin health organization working with dermatologists, scientists and the skin care industry. The Skin Health Alliance awards professional dermatological accreditation to products, services and brands around the world. They aim to help consumers feel confident in their choices by reassuring them products have been independently verified as skin safe.
After treatment, always unplug the device. After use, the handset, the skin tone sensors, and the treatment window should be inspected for damage and wiped down with a dry, lint free cloth. Never use water or other cleaning fluids, as these can damage the device leading to a potential safety hazard.
Free shipping is automatically applied to all orders.
If you are not satisfied with your order, please contact our Customer Service Team within 30 days of delivery to inquire about whether you are eligible for a return. All returns and exchanges must be preauthorized by Customer Service. Items must be returned to us, unopened, unused, and in original packaging, with all accessories.
If you are not satisfied with your product, you may be eligible to enroll in our 100-Day Money Back Guarantee Program. To be eligible, you must submit the following requirements postmarked within 100 days of the date upon which we provided the item to the carrier for shipment to you:
- The appliance and all parts (except shaver cleaning fluid)
- Your name, mailing address and phone number
- The original receipt with purchase price and date of purchase indicated
For further details, contact us at 1-800-272-8611 to speak to a Customer Service Representative